Saturday, August 27, 2016

Once a dancer. Always a dancer.



 


When TV's were huge and I was small, a ballet performance left me mesmerized. It was 
the first day of 1991 that I decided I wanted to be a dancer. For real. Not with tutu's, 
a childish teacher and silly games. Because we lived in a small village, it wasn't easy to find a proper ballet school. My mother supported me, always.

I started ballet close to my hometown Dalfsen -only once a week as school; friends; Barbies and handball were as much as important to me. After finishing elementary school, I got into the preparatory dance training at The Amsterdam University of the Arts. Every weekend my mom and I traveled for a few hours to Amsterdam, where she explored the city and I learned many new things like jazz dance, contemporary and tap dance. Great, although friends; Barbies and handball took a hit. 

The decision to move to a host family in Enschede at the age of fourteen, was hard. But necessary to be able to combine my pre-university education with the preparatory training for theatre dance at the conservatory. Four years of homesickness, school and dance. Dancing every day, that was what I always wanted. At the conservatory, I fell in love with folklore. I really like rhythm, I am interested in other cultures and my Hungarian dance teacher showed me dances and costumes from different parts of the world. I began to dream about dancing in the International Dance Company in Amsterdam: the only professional company in Europe dancing dances from all over the world. 

Early on I knew that if you really want something, you succeed.

Four years later I moved to Amsterdam to complete the Bachelor of Theatre Dance at the Amsterdam University of the Arts. An internship is part of the program and I participated in the auditions for the International Dance Company (my dream job, remember!). 
Nerve-racking but I got in! When I think of my time in this company, I think of color. Many different colors because of the variety of countries; dances; costumes; colleagues; theaters and emotions. I had the honor to dance here for four colorful years. I learned a lot, developed myself and became even more certain about my love for folk dancing. 
My heart beats like the rhythm of dance.

I followed my heart to Slovakia, as folklore dancing was exchanged for contemporary dancing in Amsterdam. Sl'uk, the Slovak State Traditional Dance Company, was my new home. In no time, I tried to make the Slovak traditional dances my own. Until today, my dear neighbor in Bratislava does not believe that a Dutch girl was dancing in Sl'uk. 
I planned to live there for a year, to extend my professional dance career. It turned out to be three. Slovakia and the folklore culture have been very good to me, but I just wanted to go back to Amsterdam and discover what else life had to offer me.

For the past 25 years I danced through my life. I liked it, loved it, hated it. It hurt: I've had injuries, I have sacrificed.. but I got so much in return! I believe that dance has brought 
me a lot -being strong both psychically and mentally. It will help me to get through this. 


Dance is part of my life, dance is part of me.
Once a dancer. Always a dancer.




* Here you can see me dance in the Sl'uk Anniversary Performance.




9 comments:

  1. Wow! Mijn gedachten en gevoelens kan ik niet in het engels verwoorden. Mijn hart breekt bij het lezen.............
    Wij hebben een moeilijke weg te gaan,wij zijn er voor je,doen het samen, zoals alle jaren hiervoor! En sterk zijn, en doorzetten dat kunnen wij! Kusssssssss pap en mam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doron, you was one of the best dancer in last generation in SĽUK. Moreover you gave us a lot of inspiration as a nice and funny girl as well as your high level professional work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only you got much through dancing, but we got much through you (dancing or not!). We're walking with you. Ivana Jelen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beste Doron, ik heb een tijd terug al vernomen van mijn schoonmoeder dat er het e.e.a. speelde bij jou (en) met je gezondheid, maar dit is best heftig nieuws!! Wij wensen je heel veel sterkte en beterschap voor de komende tijd!! met je doorzettingsvermogen en positiviteit gaat het vast goed komen. groeten, Mirjam; Anne & Daan de Ruiter

    ReplyDelete
  5. wallpaper girl desktop sexy beautiful - http://en.info-pics.biz/free-wallpaper/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed Google Home vs. Amazon Echo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely enjoy every little bit of it. It is a great website and a nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog and have some great content. Keep up the good work. You can also visit our website for reading our blogs based on gaming software if you want to know about it then kindly click on wii emulator

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts & feelings: